Monday, January 6, 2014

Night photography

LIGHTS!


One can spend hours photographing the lights, be it during the festival of lights (Deepavali) or as simple as an oil lamp in a dark room. It is a challenge to capture the flame or the lights through a camera lens and getting it right would be a task in itself.

Yesterday, it so happened that I finally mustered enough courage to try my hand at simple 'night photography' and capture the lights - the lights of the speeding vehicles on the road. Carrying a tripod was never my idea of photography. But after going through a few write-ups on night photography and the challenges one confronts during poor light conditions and the benefit one derives with a little bit of extra effort invested in carrying this three-legged apparatus made great sense to start my 'night photography' lessons/experiment in the right way.

The effort was absolutely rewarding - for an amateur photographer like me. Presenting a few photos from my yesterday night's rendezvous with the lights!!

My very first photo - God knows what I thought when I clicked it without mounting the camera on the tripod. I still was hesitating and thought, "oh, definitely it is not as difficult to click without a tripod".

Handheld - without a tripod, it would be hard to click the pic.
One look of the above pic and within seconds my thoughts were. "I better mount the camera on the tripod without wasting time'!! :P

Of course,I felt that the camera settings were also incorrect! But then, I was there to experiment & learn. So just kept varying the aperture, ISO & shutter speed and spent blissfully the next 2 hrs on the foot-over bridge.

Varied the camera angle or adjusted some settings! Results were encouraging.

Particularly liked this pic, just don't know what I did and clicked this. But still liked the blur.

The vehicles which were in no hurry to speed.

Our Studio for the evening - The foot-over bridge where we spent good 2 hrs clicking the vehicles speeding below.

The desired result - after about 2 hrs of experimenting.

The desired result - after about 2 hrs of experimenting.
It wasn't a scary or bad photo-session. Hence I have decided to venture soon on another such expedition to capture those colorful lights. May be a different location and some other sort of light!! Any suggestions? :)





No comments:

Post a Comment