Tuesday, October 15, 2013

COLOURS everywhere!


The festive season brings in a lot of fun, colours and exuberance.  The previous week was all about celebrating the 'Navaratri festival'.  Even as the festival came to an end yesterday with the last day celebrated as Vijayadashami (the victory of good over evil - as per Hindu mythology), we saw some disturbing news from Madhya Pradesh where quite a few lives were lost in the temple stampede incident.  Sad.

But then here in Mumbai, life moves on...today, with  nothing better to do at home, I ventured out with my new camera to a handloom & handicraft exhibition centre to check out the products on display.  

(please click on the images to view in full size. :) )

Dull & a rainy day!

It was a delightful visit - more than purchasing anything, the opportunity to interact with the stall owners and click some photos of a few of my favourite things seemed EXCITING.  I headed straight to the most colourful looking stall!!

Attractive earrings - Choice & more choice.

Riot of colours - fancy bangles!
The wares on display were the regular Terracotta showpieces, wooden furniture, ceramic wares, textiles and also some eatables! But I was most interested in taking some pictures of the fancy jewellery & the bronze items on display at the exhibition. 

At another stall - Necklaces!

My friend, with all the goodies on display in his stall.
The lamps are making a comeback.

While walking along the passage & observing different items on display, found that even pickle containers in one particular stall were very colorful.  Pickles must have also been equally delicious but gave it a skip.

Varieties of pickles.
But the most interesting place for me to go click click and experiment a bit was in a stall where innumerable types of bronze idols were on display!  The sweet stall owner happily agreed to let me sit comfortably and take the photographs of which ever idol I wished to!

The stall owner amidst the bronze idols, in his stall.

Ganesh idols!
But the one idol which looked extremely photogenic was that of resting 'Buddha', the enlightened one.

Resting blissfully.
It was still raining a bit, so I briefly stopped in the furniture section to take a look around. I was glad I did it. Though the furniture did not interest me, some wonderful lampshades on display lured me into clicking some photos.

Oh yes, Diwali is just a few days away!

It surely would light up the corners of any house.
The face  - with a lasting impression?
Colourful Exhibition, gets my thumbsup! Spent an hour or so and thoroughly enjoyed, for a change - saving some money (did not purchase anything much except a pair of earring for myself). Blush.

My purchase - pearl earring pair.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures as always.. And well written. The bangles my favorite.. If we were to buy everything we loved to look at and/or photograph.. We would be living in a museum.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shyamala. Bangles is my favorite too. Was wondering if I had got a decent picture of it - of some 20 odd clicks, only one turned seemingly good enough to post here. :)

      And of course, I wouldn't want to live in a Museum...also cleaning & maintaining all those showpieces is real hard task. So they are better off in an exhibition. :)

      Delete